Historic Markers Across Alabama

Hayes-Morton House

Marker ID:  
Location: Marker is located in the Brierfield Ironworks Historical State Park, Brierfield, Alabama.
County: Bibb
Coordinates: N 33° 2.281    W 086° 56.887
  33.03801666    -86.94811666
Style: Mounted **
Waymark: None


Wilson Hayes constructed this typical farm house for his wife and six children just south of Six Mile around 1900. After he moved to Oklahoma c. 1915, his daughter Ollie and her husband Levert Rotenberry lived in the home until 1928. Between 1928 and 1960, several different families occupied the house including the Owens, Reese Eady and R. C. Moore. In 1960, the nephew of Levert Rotenberry, W. R. Rotenberry and his wife Julia purchased the house spending weekends and vacations there until 1983, when they sold the structure to Kermit Stephens, who later donated it to Brierfield Ironworks Park. In July 1986, the house was cut into three pieces and moved by Hendrix Brothers Movers of Tuscaloosa County to its present location. After the house lay idle for almost two decades, the family and friends of Steve P. Morton, a long-time supporter of Brierfield Ironworks Park and the surrounding community, raised the funds necessary for the structure's complete restoration in 2005-2006.

Erected by Alabama Historic Ironworks Commission.

End of Hayes-Morton House