Historic Markers Across Alabama



Piper



Marker ID:  
Location: on Cahaba River Drive (County Road 24), West Blocton, Alabama.
County: Bibb
Coordinates: N 33° 5.116    W 087° 2.662
  33.08526666    -87.04436666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMD8JH
 



Text:

The town of Piper was established in 1901 a half mile of northeast of here by the Little Cahaba Coal Company, named for Oliver Hazzard Perry Piper, a partner of industrialist Henry F. DeBardeleben. Two coal mines were opened in 1901 and 1903. The first was sealed in 1935 due to fire. Piper was one of the larger mining towns in the Cahaba Coal Field reaching greatest employment in 1914 with 432 miners and related workers. The Piper-Coleanor High School operated from 1931-1940. After World War II, a third mine was opened. Beginning in 1947 it was operated by the Shaw & Tutwiler Corporation. Coal was first mined in the area by N. H. Thompson and sons, W.H. and Lewis, who had moved here from Hinds County, Mississippi during the Civil War. The last coal was mined on a limited scale in the 1950s.

Erected 2000 by Former Residents of Piper & Coleanor, The Cahaba Trace Commission.







End of Piper