Historic Markers Across Alabama



Proven by Tempest: City of Brent



Marker ID: ABT 
Location: Brent, AL
County: Bibb
Coordinates:   
Waymark: None
 



Text:

PROVEN BY TEMPEST: CITY OF BRENT
Founded in 1898, Forever Changed on May 27, 1973


The City of Brent was founded in 1898 in the southern portion of Bibb County along the Gulf, Mobile and Ohio Rail line. The town was named after Mr. Brent H. Armstrong, a surveyor for the railroad. Brent was later incorporated in 1913. The mayor-council form of government began under the administration of Mayor A.J. Hardin. Other Council members of the original administration included H. V. Faucett, W. E. Hobson, Jr., John T. Martin, J.W. Thompson and J.S. Yeager. The original census of 250 citizens has grown to exceed 3,500, making Brent the largest municipality in the county in 2009.

This site is dedicated to the people of Brent whose lives were forever changed by a devastating tornado on May 27, 1973. Five lives were lost: Birdie Mae Doolittle, Tom Green, Bertha Ann Hill, Robert Tildon Hobson, and Andrew Mitchell. They say heroes are made not born and this was a night many heroes were made.

Erected by the Alabama Tourism Department and the City of Brent
July 2010











End of Proven by Tempest: City of Brent