Historic Markers Across Alabama



Coleanor



Marker ID:  
Location: intersection of Co. Rd 24 and Piper Rd., east of West Blocton, AL.
County: Bibb
Coordinates: N 33° 05.116    W 087° 02.662
  33.08526666    -87.04436666
Waymark: None
 



Text:

The Blocton-Cahaba Coal Company was incorporated in September 1900 and soon opened a coal mine while founding the town of Coleanor. Principal stockholders included H.C. Reynolds, W.B. Reynolds, E.D. Reynolds and J.B. Wadsworth. Adjacent though separated by a deep ravine, the towns of Piper and Coleanor were connected by a railroad trestle and a swinging bridge. In 1915, 200 miners and other workers were employed at Coleanor. Both towns were occupied by the Alabama National Guard in 1934 during a strike organized by the United Mine Workers Union. The Coleanor Post Office operated from 1901 to 1942. Following World War II, the Coleanor mine was closed and nothing remains of either town that once boasted a combined population of over 2,500 people.

Erected by the former residents of Piper and Coleanor
And the Cahaba Trace Commission. 2000







End of Coleanor