Historic Markers Across Alabama



West Blocton



Marker ID:  
Location: 1139 Main Street, West Blocton AL
County: Bibb
Coordinates: N 33° 7.052    W 087° 6.889
  33.11753333    -87.11481666
Style: Free Standing **
Status: The marking is missing.
Waymark: None
 



Text:

(side 1)
West Blocton began is a business and residential community in joining the Cahaba coal mining Company’s Town of Blocton in 1883 - 84. Informally called Shuttletown for Julie LaFayette Suttle, an early merchant, or Smithtown for Uriah Smith, an early resident. West Blocton incorporated in 1901. Eugene D. Reynolds was the first mayor, 1901 - 1904, followed by Dr. L.D. Peacock, 1904 - 1906. A son of Italian immigrants, Frank T. Farrire, has been the longest serving mayor, 1965 - 1984.

(side 2)
West Blocton was the commercial center of the southern Cahaba coal fielde serving the neighboring company towns & mining camps of Belle Ellen, Piper, Lucile, Gurnee, Coleanor, Garnsey, Galloway, Marvel, Moffatt, Masena, Braehead, Red Eagle & Hargrove. Economic opportunity attracted a diverse population. An Italian Catholic cemetery lies just east of town, and the League of Brothers Synagogue was built on Main Street in 1905. Bibb County's first bank, the Blocton Savings Bank, was established in 1892. By 1910, West Blocton boasted of 55 businesses including a newspaper, bottling Works, 2 hotels, 14 general stores, a dentist, 3 doctors, 3 lawyers, a shoemaker, tailor and 2 photographers.

Erected by the town of West Blocton and
the Cahaba Trace Commission
1998







End of West Blocton