Historic Markers Across Alabama



Centreville Cemetery Bibb County



Marker ID:  
Location: In the cemetery at Mill and Cooper Sts, Centreville, AL
County: Bibb
Coordinates: N 32° 56.527    W 087° 08.688
  32.94211666    -87.1448
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMWET3
 



Text:

Centreville Cemetery soldiers into town of Centreville itself. The earliest known burial is that of Willie Coleman, dated 1822, Centrerville was established in 1823. One half of the cemetery, notice Cooper Cemetery, contains mostly the burials of African-Americans. The other half, known as Four Points Cemetery, contains the burials of whites. Surnames associated with many prominent Centreville families can be found above the burials which include former probate judges, sheriffs, mayors, merchants and other community leaders. The most prominent Centreville resident buried here is Doctor Edward Hawthorne Moren (1825-1886) a surgeon in the US Army, then the Confederate Army, who also represented Bibb and Perry counties in the state assembly. Most notably, Moren served as Alabama second lieutenant governor from 1870-1872, during post-Civil War Reconstruction. Centreville Cemetery is owned by the city of Centreville. Maintenance is provided by the city, and through volunteer efforts of the Cooper Memorial Cemetery committee and others. By the 21st century, the adverse effects of age, neglect and vandalism had become obvious. However, the cemetery was restored with state grant funds in 2012.

Listed on the Alabama historic cemetery register in 2011
Marker erected in 2012 by the Centreville historic preservation commission.







End of Centreville Cemetery Bibb County