Historic Markers Across Alabama



A County Older Than the State - Blount County



Marker ID: AHA 
Location: at the intersection of Second Avenue East (US Highway 231) and 4th Street North, Oneonta, Alabama
County: Blount
Coordinates: N 33° 56.832    W 086° 28.458
  33.9472    -86.4743
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Created Feb. 7, 1818 by Alabama Territorial Legislature from lands ceded by the Creek Indian Nation. Named for the Tennessee Governor W. G. Blount, who sent militia under Andrew Jackson to punish the Creeks for Fort Mims massacre. Jackson fought and won the Creek War. Creeks gave up half of their lands in Treaty of Ft. Jackson, 1814. Some of Jackson's men were first settlers of Blount. County seat moved here in 1889.

[Before 1965: Oneonta]








End of A County Older Than the State - Blount County