Historic Markers Across Alabama



Bailey School 1893 - 1951



Marker ID: AHA 
Location: on County Road 36 0.1 miles north of New Home Church Road, Oneonta, Alabama
County: Blount
Coordinates: N 34° 2.807    W 086° 24.41
  34.04678333    -86.40683333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMCZAQ
 



Text:

William M Bailey (born 1859 in Cherokee Co.; died 1909 in Blount Co.) settled 40 acres on what became Co. Rd 36 to the west and New Home Church Rd to the east in 1893. He brought three small sons from Cherokee Co. after the death of his first wife and their mother, Julie Law Bailey. Remarrying in 1887, Bailey had ten more children with Ollie McMillan Bailey. He deeded one acre on SW corner for a school and an adjoining acre on E for a church. The first school on the site, Bailey himself built of logs; the second - with two rooms, high ceilings and belfry-capped roof - was built by the state. The third, built in 1934, had three rooms in the shape of a T and served a bustling community. The institution strived to guide children and youth toward literacy and character building to enrich their lives and those of others.

[2004]







End of Bailey School 1893 - 1951