Historic Markers Across Alabama



Blountsville



Marker ID: AHA 
Location: intersection of Main Street (U.S. 231) and Lee Street West, Blountsville, Alabama
County: Blount
Coordinates: N 34° 4.89    W 086° 35.46
  34.0815    -86.591
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMCYXH
 



Text:

1820-1889-Seat of Blount County, a county older than the State. Named for Tennessee Governor W. G. Blount who sent Andrew Jackson to aid Alabama settlers in the Creek Indian War, 1812-1814. Indian Chief Bear Meat lived here at the crossing of old Indian trading paths. 1816-Tennesseans began trading post here and called the village Bear Meat Cabin. 1820-Name changed to Blountsville and made county seat. 1819-County seat moved to Oneonta.
[Before 1965:]







End of Blountsville