Historic Markers Across Alabama



Historic Oneonta L & N Railroad Depot



Marker ID: ABT 
Location: on 2nd Street South ¼ mile south of Alabama Highway 75, Oneonta, Alabama
County: Blount
Coordinates: N 33° 56.664    W 086° 28.548
  33.9444    -86.4758
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Starting in 1889, the Louisville and Nashville Railroad, also known as the Birmingham Mineral Railroad, began railroad freight and passenger service to Oneonta with the completion of the rail line from Broyles Railroad Yard near Birmingham to the Champion Iron Ore Mines. By 1905, the railroad through Oneonta ran to Attalla and Gadsden to the northeast, connecting with the Alabama Mineral Division of the Louisville and Nashville Railroad. Originally the L&N provided passenger and freight service to Oneonta, and the L&N depot provided the passenger ticketing and waiting area. In addition, the railroad’s agent had space in the depot to handle freight billing and railroad-related operational work. Railroad passenger service ended in 1951. The L&N Railroad depot was located in downtown Oneonta behind the Garner Hotel. In 1975, the depot was moved from the downtown area to the present location and since has been used as a meeting site for various functions.

Erected 2010 by Alabama Tourism Department and the City of Oneonta.







End of Historic Oneonta L & N Railroad Depot