Historic Markers Across Alabama



Town of Susan Moore



Marker ID: ABT 
Location: next to the Town Hall on Rout 75, Susan Moore, AL
County: Blount
Coordinates: N 34° 04.905    W 086° 25.231
  34.08175    -86.42051666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMCZAH
 



Text:

TOWN OF SUSAN MOORE

In 1864, traveling in an oxcart, Dr. Robert M. Moore left his family in Walton County, Georgia, and journeyed to Blount County, Alabama. Here, finding fertile land, he entered a section of land and returned to Walton County and persuaded his wife to move to Blount County, Alabama. In 1865, his wife and ten children, William T., Zachariah C., Robert B., David S., B.Martin, John M., Jimmy H., D. Marion, Nancy C., and Sally, traveled in a covered wagon and settled in his section of land.All of the children married. As each child married, he was given a tract of land.

David S. married Susan Nunnally and became a medical doctor. In 1883, Dr. Moore named the community where he built his first house, Clarence, in honor of his oldest son. Dr. Moore's office and drug store were located in his home. Two of his sons, David S. Jr., and Joe became medical doctors. They and another doctor became partners and founded South Highland Hospital in Birmingham. In 1923, when Susan Moore died, David Moore Jr., and Joe were moved at their mother's funeral to donate monies for the construction of a consolidated school in her honor. Susan Moore School was named. Robert B. Moore's oldest son, William Augustus, was the first principal of Susan Moore High School.

Side 2:
The other sons became successful farmers and the daughters married farmers. Many descendants still live in this area and have made civic contributions to the community in many ways.

Through the early years farming was the main occupation of the residents. Corn and cotton were the money crops. The community of Clarence had a gin, sawmill and a sorghum mill. Grocery stores were owned by various families throughout the community.

On November 18, 1982, the residents of the community of Clarence decided to hold an election. The following month on December 21, an election was held to elect the council. Elected to the first council were J.L. Painter, J.M. Ballard, J.M. Jackson, R.F.Bryan and W.F. Smallwood. The council members nominated and elected T.R. Jackson as mayor. The council voted on naming the town Susan Moore. The town was incorporated with 960 acres and a population of 351. The first clerk was Lucille Holmes.
Bullock County








End of Town of Susan Moore