Historic Markers Across Alabama



First Baptist Missionary Church 187 5 Fitzpatrick United Methodist Church (The Church of the Seven Sisters) 1858



Marker ID: AHA 
Location: Old Try Rd. at School Street, Midway, AL
County: Bullock
Coordinates: N 32° 4.515    W 085° 31.74
  32.07525      -85.52906
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMFNEM
 



Text:

The Macedonia Baptist Church, located between the communities of Midway and Mt. Coney, was contracted by freedmen after the American Civil War, replacing the brush arbors used by the area's antebellum slaves as sites for religious worship. Four separate congregations grew out of the original church: Antioch Baptist Church; Oak Grove Baptist Church; Mt. Coney Baptist Church; and Second Baptist Church of Midway.

First organized in 1875, Second Baptist was built on a one-acre site officially deeded to the church by Taylor N. Cox and wife, M.C. Cox, on April 9, 1885. The original architecture was of the front gable with central tower type. Changes included additional rooms and the enclosing of the vestibule. Church founders included Warren Williams, John Curry, Alfred Boxer Sr., Ed Curry, Aaron Hamilton, Bob Walker, Aaron Jordan, Jack Christian, and Susie Christian, with Donna Pruitt serving as first secretary.

Rev. J.H. Smith was pastor in 1910 when the church's name was changed to First Baptist Missionary Church. In 1938, its building began to be used as a site for classes and commencement programs for old Merritt Junior High School. During the 1960s, First Baptist was an important site for African American voter registration and other Civil Rights-related activities. The church also played a significant role in the development of the Mt. Hebron Baptist Convention and the Missionary Baptist Association. As the only black Baptist church in Midway, First Baptist has been the site for conversions, marriages, funerals, religious conventions, and community events throughout its history.

Placed on the Alabama Register of Landmarks and Heritage, December 4, 1992.







End of First Baptist Missionary Church 187 5 Fitzpatrick United Methodist Church (The Church of the Seven Sisters) 1858