Historic Markers Across Alabama



Fitzpatrick United Methodist Church Fitzpatrick United Methodist Church (The Church of the Seven Sisters) 1858



Marker ID: AHA 
Location: Fitzpatrick Rd north of Moore Rd, , Fitzpatrick, AL
County: Bullock
Coordinates: N 32° 13.077    W 085° 53.32
  32.21791      -85.88867
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMHP39
 



Text:

Lacking an established church nearby, pioneer families of the Fitzpatrick community into the mid-19th century took turns hosting worship services in their homes on Sunday mornings. "The Church of the Seven Sisters" was established in 1858 by seven women of the community - Mrs. Phillips Bernard Baldwin (Martha Ann Thompson), Mrs. David Graves Fitzpatrick (Sara Ann Hooks), Mrs. John Campbell (Catherine Celia Hooks) Mrs. William Cicero Hufham (Nancy Henry Gholston), Mrs. Gordon Sanford Bunkley (Lucinda Morris Keene), Mrs. John William Templeton Reid (Celia Julia Fitzpatrick) and Mrs. Robert F. Ligon. Three of the "sisters" were Methodist, two were Baptist, one was Presbyterian, and one an Episcopalian, so it was founded as a Methodist Church. Albert G. Wray deeded one-and-one-half acres for the original building for one dollar. After the Montgomery and Eufaula railroad was built through Fitzpatrick in the 1870s, the church building was moved here from its nearby site.

Placed on the Alabama Register of Landmarks and Heritage, 1978.







End of Fitzpatrick United Methodist Church Fitzpatrick United Methodist Church (The Church of the Seven Sisters) 1858