Historic Markers Across Alabama



Log Cabin Museum / Old City Cemetery (The Confederate Cemetery)



Marker ID: AHA 
Location: Hwy. 82 W in Union Springs, AL
County: Bullock
Coordinates: N 32° 8.606    W 085° 43.03
  32.14344      -85.71724
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMFNF1
 



Text:

Log Cabin Museum


Early settlers of this area cleared land and built their first homes of logs in the early 1830's. This cabin was built by Reuben Rice Kirkland (1829-1915) about 1850. He and his first wife had ten children while living in the log home. At one time an additional bedroom and chimney were on the right side, and the back porch was closed in for cooking and eating. A small log kitchen stood a few feet from the back and was later converted to a smoke house. The milk house beside the well was on stilts to protect butter and milk from animals. In 1981, the Bullock County Historical Society moved the cabin into Union Springs from its original site at Stills Cross Roads in southern Bullock County and restored it as a museum.


Old City Cemetery (The Confederate Cemetery)


Micajah Norfleet Eley donated land in 1849 for the Baptist Church and an adjoining public cemetery. The oldest cemetery in Union Springs, it served the city for 35 years. The Confederate Monument at the center of the cemetery was unveiled at the intersection of Prairie and Hardaway Streets on March 29, 1895 by the Ladies Memorial Association. In 1973, it was moved to its present location. Locally known as the Confederate Cemetery, it includes the tombstones of some twenty-two Confederate soldiers. Below the Confederate soldiers' grave sites is a marker which reads, "Union Prisoners of War, 1861-1865, Victims of Plague."







End of Log Cabin Museum / Old City Cemetery (The Confederate Cemetery)