Historic Markers Across Alabama



Old Merritt School Midway Community Center



Marker ID: AHA 
Location: Old Troy Rd. at School St., Midway, AL
County: Bullock
Coordinates: N 32° 4.527    W 085° 31.78
  32.07545      -85.52978
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMFN35
 



Text:

Margaret Elizabeth Merritt of Midway sold two acres for $5 to the state of Alabama in 1921 as a site for an elementary school for African-American children. Built in 1922 with matching Rosenwald funds, the Midway Colored Public School featured oak and pine construction and two classrooms divided by a partition. The building is one of the few surviving of the more than 5,000 rural black schools built with contributions from the Julius Rosenwald Fund. Enlarged twice, then renovated in 1978, it is now used for community activities. Added to the Alabama Register of Landmarks and Heritage, November 2, 1990 and to the National Register of Historic Places, February 20, 1998.







End of Old Merritt School Midway Community Center