Historic Markers Across Alabama



St. James C. M. E. Church Railroad Street Midway, Alabama



Marker ID: AHA 
Location: Railroad St., Midway, AL
County: Bullock
Coordinates: N 32° 4.245    W 085° 31.22
  32.07075      -85.52046
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMFN30
 



Text:

St. James C. M. E. Church
Railroad Street
Midway, Alabama


St. James Christian Methodist Episcopal Church was founded by Reverend Jack McMillan, a former slave of Midway's Daniel McMillan. Initially meeting outdoors under a brush arbor, ex-slaves and their children constructed a wood-frame church building soon after this lot was purchased in December 1882. A storm subsequently damaged the building which was rebuilt in 1896. Gable-roofed, the structure's original steeple church bell was enclosed in a cupola. Additional rooms have been added and the main entrance enclosed. Placed on the Alabama Register of the Landmarks and Heritage, December 19, 1991.








End of St. James C. M. E. Church Railroad Street Midway, Alabama