Historic Markers Across Alabama



Three Notch Road



Marker ID: AHA 
Location: at the intersection of U.S. 82 and County Rd 35, Union Springs, AL
County: Bullock
Coordinates: N 32° 6.412    W 085° 34.694
  32.10686666    -85.57823333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMPRT4
 



Text:

Side 1
Built by U.S. Army engineers over the summer of 1824, Three Notch Road has served as Bullock County’s major transportation route throughout its history. It was constructed to facilitate military communication between Pensacola in Florida and Ft. Mitchell in Alabama near the Georgia border. The 233-mile path through a virtual wilderness was known as Road No. 6 in official reports, but was known and named locally for the distinctive horizontal notches blazed into trees by advancing surveyors as they marked the route for the builders who followed. Capt. Daniel Burch oversaw construction of the road which was wide enough to allow “carriages, carts, wagons, &c.” and included “substantial wooden bridges” over those streams which were not so wide as to require ferries to cross.

Side 2
Three Notch Road was the major thoroughfare for those coming from Georgia into present-day Bullock County when eastern Alabama was opened to American settlement with the removal of the Indians. The road entered the county from the north near Guerryton, crossed the Chunnenuggee Ridge at Enon, and continued south to Ft. Watson, as the community of Three Notch was named before the Central of Georgia Railroad came through. From there the road continued southwest through the communities of Ox Level (by Mallard Chapel), Indian Creek, Blues Old Stand, and Sellers Crossroads before exiting the county on present-day Bullock County Road 19, near the Sandfield community in Pike County.

2011 by the Bullock County Historical Society, Alabama Historical Association.







End of Three Notch Road