Historic Markers Across Alabama



Pioneer Electric Cooperative



Marker ID: AHC 
Location: On Halso Mill Rd south of Mt Zion Rd, Greenville, AL
County: Butler
Coordinates: N 31° 47.343    W 086° 35.348
  31.78905    -86.58913333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMJPPB
 



Text:

The Butler County Electric Membership Corporation was formed as a rural electric cooperative in Greenville in July 1938. The first home receiving electricity from the cooperative was located near here.

The Cooperative's original Board of Directors included Dr. C. Wall, president, W. M. Harrison, Dr. R. L. Jernigan, Arthur Bennett, E. L. Cunningham, D. P. Robbins, P. E. Youngblood, H. M. Hardy and T. J. Middleton. Edwin Wallace was first manager.

In 1940, the Cooperative's name was changed to Pioneer Electric Cooperative and it expanded to provide service in Dallas, Lowndes and Wilcox counties as well as Butler.

(Erected in commemoration of this founding by Pioneer Electric Cooperative, May 1985)



Notes:

Pioneer Electric Cooperative is a member-owned, electric cooperative that provides electric service in southeast Alabama.



End of Pioneer Electric Cooperative