Historic Markers Across Alabama



Oakey Streak Methodist Church



Marker ID: AHC 
Location: At the cemetery on Oakey Streak Rd. west of Halso Mill Rd, Butler Co., AL
County: Butler
Coordinates: N 31° 33.142    W 086° 32.203
  31.55236666    -86.53671666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMJPQW
 



Text:

The Methodist Episcopal Church South at Oakey Streak was organized before December 7, 1850 when A. M. Reid sold ten acres, more or less, to Richard W. Prewett, William Hammonds, Daniel B. Shine, James W. Shine & A. M. Reid, church trustees. S. T. & H. C. Smith witnessed the deed and the latter proved it September 19, 1868 before R. S. Hughes, J. P. The first church was built of logs & served for many years before being replaced by the present structure.

Alabama Register of Landmarks & Heritage, 1977

(Erected by Bessie Stallings Jernigan, T. A. Brook, Grover Little, James Wood, & the Avant & Nix Families, 1978)







End of Oakey Streak Methodist Church