Historic Markers Across Alabama



City Park / Greenville Public School--City Hall



Marker ID: AHA 
Location: E. Commerce at S. Park Street, Greenville
County: Butler
Coordinates: N 31° 49.770    W 086° 37.381
  31.8295    -86.62301666
Waymark: None
 



Text:

City Park


The Park was developed as a joint effort of the Father Ryan chapter of the United Daughters of the Confederacy with the backing of the city government. The United Methodist Church provided the Park site. The sixteen-foot marble statue of a Confederate soldier was erected in 1903. The Park has been maintained by the city with many local citizens and groups helping to make improvements through the years.


Greenville Public School--City Hall


The two-story brick, "Greenville Public School" was built in 1897 on the site where City Hall stands today in Greenville. When its upper story was partially destroyed by fire in 1921, the school was remodeled into a grammar school. This, too, burned and the building was demolished in 1928. The construction of Greenville City Hall was completed in 1936-37.







End of City Park / Greenville Public School--City Hall