Historic Markers Across Alabama



Old Depot--1910 / West Commerce Street Historic District



Marker ID: AHA 
Location: Comerce St. at Bolling St., Greenville, AL
County: Butler
Coordinates: N 31° 49.767    W 086° 37.665
  31.82945    -86.62775
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Old Depot--1910


The Depot, part of the West Commerce Street Historic District, highlights the role that the railroad transportation system played in making Greenville a major regional trade center. For many years this was the sole shipping point for a six-county area of south-central Alabama. It is one of the few remaining brick and stucco depot buildings remaining in south Alabama. The Depot was reconstructed in 1924 after being damaged by high winds, then was restored in 1991.

West Commerce Street Historic District


The completion of the railroad in the late 1850s brought this District into being. The District grew into a major trade center between Montgomery and Mobile. The capital accumulated from this trade allowed the construction of brick commercial buildings, most of them completed by 1890. The downtown area was revitalized in the spring of 1997.








End of Old Depot--1910 / West Commerce Street Historic District