Historic Markers Across Alabama



Oak Bowery



Marker ID:  
Location: on Nickquenum Road 2 miles south of Kirkville Road (County Road 75), Honoraville, AL
County: Butler
Coordinates: N 31° 55.246    W 086° 29.694
  31.92076666    -86.4949
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMDB90
 



Text:

In March 1863 Francis and Sarah Sheppard gave 3 acres of land to Methodist Episcopal Church South as a place for worship and burial. 2 more acres given by Alexander and Mary Sheppard Oct. 1868. Property sold to County Line Primitive Baptist Church May 1907, with cemeteries excepted. This church relocated to Fort Deposit in early 1920's and building was then used by a black congregation. Vacant for many years, structure was destroyed by strong winds in 1981. Cemeteries are still tended by Sheppard descendants and a reunion is held the first Saturday of June each year. Marker erected on church site by Oak Bowery Memorial Cemetery Association, June 4, 1983.

Erected 1983 by Oak Bowery Memorial Cemetery Association.







End of Oak Bowery