Historic Markers Across Alabama



The Camellia City



Marker ID: ATD 
Location: On E. Commerce St. east of Posey St., Greenville, AL.
County: Butler
Coordinates: N 31° 49.780    W 086° 37.398
  31.82966666    -86.6233
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMJPQ8
 



Text:

Mr. J. Glenn Stanley, an ardent camellia enthusiast, dreamed of Greenville becoming ‘The Camellia City” and loyally promoted this slogan as editor of The Greenville Advocate. The city’s first Camellia Show was held at his antebellum Henry-Beeland-Stanley home in 1937. City officials, civic groups, garden clubs and individuals joined Mr. Glenn’s campaign by planting camellias in abundance. Local gardeners including Stanley, Steindorff, Beeland, Jernigan, Stabler, Ryan, Hendrick, Thagard, Langford and Fox began propagating camellias. Eleven Greenville varieties are registered with the American Camellia Society. In 1938, the Greenville City Council adopted the Camellia Japonica as the Official City Flower. State Representative Lamont Glass of Greenville was instrumental in the beautiful camellia being declared the Official State Flower by Act of the Alabama Legislature on Aug. 26, 1959. The 50th anniversary of the camellia as the State Flower was celebrated in 2009. Camellias of all varieties are evident throughout the city as Greenville carries on its heritage as ‘The Camellia City.

Erected by the Alabama Tourism Department and the City of Greenville







End of The Camellia City