Historic Markers Across Alabama



Greenville – County Seat of Butler County



Marker ID: ATD 
Location: On E. Commerce St. east of Posey St., Greenville, AL.
County: Butler
Coordinates: N 31° 49.780    W 086° 37.398
  31.82966666    -86.6233
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMJPQC
 



Text:

Named by early settlers who emigrated from South Carolina, Greenville was established as the county seat in 1821. Settlers traveling along the Old Federal Road were attracted by the area’s abundant natural resources and strategic location, major factors that have continued to shape Greenville’s commercial, agricultural and recreational activities. In Butler County, the Federal Road followed Bartram’s Trail, an ancient Indian path traveled by naturalist William Bartram in 1775. Early Greenville residents included Dunklin, Herbert, Cook, Bolling, Judge, Parmer, Caldwell, Black, Pickens, Graydon, Burnett, Hutchinson, Jones and Waters. The railroad was completed in 1861, enabling establishment of a Confederate Hospital. Greenville flourished in the 1870s and 1880s. By 1900, the town had thriving businesses, a streetcar line, electricity, telephone service, opera house, several colleges and many active churches. Greenville has maintained its historic integrity with hundreds of homes and buildings on the national and state landmarks registers, including the Ritz Theatre, restored to its 1930s Art Deco splendor. Named ‘Best Small Town in America’ in 2001, Greenville’s small town atmosphere continues to be important to its culture.

Erected by the Alabama Tourism Department and the City of Greenville.







End of Greenville – County Seat of Butler County