Historic Markers Across Alabama



Historic Greenville Depot



Marker ID: AHA 
Location: On W. Commerce St. at Bolling St, Greenville, AL.
County: Butler
Coordinates: N 31° 49.766    W 086° 37.664
  31.82943333    -86.62773333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMJPQF
 



Text:

The Depot highlights the West Commerce Street Historic District and is symbolic of the major role the railroad transportation system played in making Greenville a major regional trade center. For many years, this was the sole shipping point for a six-county area of south-central Alabama. Passengers met here to catch the silver Hummingbird for a trip to the city. Built in 1910, reconstructed in 1924 and restored in 1995, the Old Depot is one of the few remaining brick and stucco buildings of its kind in south Alabama.

Erected by the Sasanqua Garden Club of Greenville and the Alabama Historical Association.







End of Historic Greenville Depot