Historic Markers Across Alabama



Grace Episcopal Church



Marker ID: AHA 
Location: 1000 Leighton Ave, Anniston, AL
County: Calhoun
Coordinates: N 33° 39.433    W 085° 49.537
  33.65721666    -85.82561666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM431Q
 



Text:

Called "A poem of cedar and stone," its history is intimately related to that of Anniston. Town Founders, Daniel Tyler and Samuel Noble, inspired its conception, funded its construction and caused the Woodstock Iron Company to donate the land on which it was built. George Upjohn, Architect, and Master Stonemason, William Jewell, used native pink sandstone and Tennessee knotty cedar to emulate Solomon's Temple. The Gothic Revival edifice, the oldest church in town, was organized on April 8, 1881, built in 1882-5, and consecrated by Bishop Richard H. Wilmer on May 19, 1886. Its first service was conducted on Christmas Eve, 1885.

Alabama Historical Association 1987







End of Grace Episcopal Church