Historic Markers Across Alabama



Jacksonville - First County Seat



Marker ID: AHA 
Location: In town square on AL Hwy 21 in Jacksonville, AL
County: Calhoun
Coordinates: N 33° 48.821    W 085° 45.669
  33.81368333    -85.76115
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM2Q9J
 



Text:

1833-99. Town first called Drayton. Renamed in 1834 to honor President Andrew Jackson. Seat moved to Anniston in 1899. Calhoun County originally was Benton County, named for Colonel T. H. Benton, Creek War officer, later U.S. Senator from Missouri. Renamed in 1858 for John C. Calhoun, Champion of South in U.S. Senate. Benton's views by then unpopular in South.







End of Jacksonville - First County Seat