Historic Markers Across Alabama



Doctor Francis' Office



Marker ID:  
Location: at the intersection of Gayle Avenue SW and Clinton Street SW, Jacksonville, Alabama
County: Calhoun
Coordinates: N 33° 48.85    W 085° 45.75
  33.81416666    -85.7625
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMF6G5
 



Text:

This general practitioner's office is the only remaining structure of its type in northeast Alabama. It was built on the court-house square about 1850 by Dr. J. C. Francis, a beloved family doctor who served Jacksonville for more than 50 years. He provided an apothecary in the front portion of his office. Associated with him in this office was Dr. C. J. Clark, a well known Confederate army surgeon and director of the Alabama Hospital in Richmond. John M. Francis, a grandson of Dr. Francis, also served here before he became chief chemist for the pharmaceutical firm of Parke, Davis and Company. Other highly esteemed doctors who used this building were Forney M. Lawrence (dentist) and James Williams (medical). Deeded by the First National Bank of Jacksonville to the Alabama Historical Commission on December 4, 1970.

This marker erected by the General John H. Forney Historical Society on March 1, 1973.

Erected 1973 by General John H. Forney Historical Society.







End of Doctor Francis' Office