Historic Markers Across Alabama



The Alabama Tennessee River Railroad



Marker ID:  
Location: at the intersection of North Center Avenue and Front Street East on North Center Avenue, Piedmont, Alaba
County: Calhoun
Coordinates: N 33° 55.476    W 085° 36.672
  33.9246    -85.6112
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

The Alabama Tennessee River Railroad was chartered by the Alabama legislature in the session of 1836-1837. Work was begun at Selma in 1851 and the rails reached Blue Mountain in 1861. Work was terminated during the War Between the States.

In 1867 a contract was let to complete the road to Dalton, Georgia. Three corporations merged to form the Selma, Rome and Dalton Railroad, which reached Dalton in 1869.

On June 20, 1868, the first train arrived in Cross Plains from Jacksonville.

This marker is given in Memory of Mr. and Mrs. S. Herschel Harris by Kennedy Rue Harris.







End of The Alabama Tennessee River Railroad