Historic Markers Across Alabama



Simmons Park



Marker ID:  
Location: Simmons Park at the intersetion of Main and Oak Street.
County: Calhoun
Coordinates: N 33° 36.947    W 085° 50.081
  33.61578333    -85.83468333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMF0K2
 



Text:

The town of Oxford was first incorporated in 1852 by the Alabama legislature. The original boundary was a 1 square mile area that was expanded in 1860. Oxford became active as a cotton and and trading center but growth slowed during the Civil War. In 1865 the Union soldiers burned almost all of the buildings. Twelve buildings remained. Simmons Park was given to the city in 1870 and was a wagon yard for farmers selling cotton.

Presented by the Oxford Arts Council 1996
Oxford, Alabama







End of Simmons Park