Historic Markers Across Alabama



West Point Manufacturing Company



Marker ID: AHA 
Location: Hwy 29 in Langdale, AL
County: Chambers
Coordinates: N 32° 48.84    W 085° 10.26
  32.81410    -85.171043
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMK3Z8
 



Text:

Cornerstones of Chattahoochee Manufacturing Company, Langdale Alabama, and Alabama & Georgia Manufacturing Company, River View, Alabama, were laid on August 1, 1866. Mills used Chattahoochee River water power for operation of spindles and looms. Planters and businessmen of Chambers County, Alabama, and West Point, Georgia, invested the capital for these ventures, providing a new way of life to a war-stricken people. In 1880, West Point Manufacturing Company was organized from the Chattahoochee mill. The business genius, enterprise, and vision of LaFayette Lanier (1845-1910), president 1896-1910, were largely responsible for the industrial and civic development of "The Valley."







End of West Point Manufacturing Company