Historic Markers Across Alabama



Alabama: Fredonia



Marker ID: HCC 
Location: at the Cross Roads, Fredonia, Alabama
County: Chambers
Coordinates:   
Waymark: None
 



Text:

From its foundation, Fredonia was the educational and trade center for northeast section of Chambers County. "The Southern Military Academy" was established in the village by the State Legislature and forced to close by the civil strife. Sixteen businesses existed, including a "jug" factory, hotels, taverns, blacksmith shop, tan yard, the "Temperance House," and the incorporated “Fredonia Trade House.” The first established Methodist Church in the county was the Fredonia Methodist Church. The town was incorporated September 29, 1853. Many direct descendants of early settlers still live in this area.

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission, 1978.



Notes:

Marker Dedication or Erection Date:  September 24, 1978



End of Alabama: Fredonia