Historic Markers Across Alabama



Providence Baptist Church



Marker ID: HCC 
Location: at the Church on Chambers County Road 36, five miles west of downtown Lanett, Alabama.
County: Chambers
Coordinates: N 32° 52.650    W 085° 16.030
  32.8775    -85.26716666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMK3Z3
 



Text:

SIDE 1:
Providence Baptist Church was organized before 1836 by Elder Francis Calloway. It was one on the ten charter churches of the East Liberty Baptist Association. The small white frame church was built during the ministry of Reverend George E. Brewer, who served Providence 1883-1889. It has served some of the best known families in all this section including the: Askews, Harringtons, Wolfes, Calloways, Barrows, Meadors, Slaughters, Shealeys, Wallaces, Lancasters, Burdetts, Meadows, and others.

SIDE 2:
Providence has been served by many noted pastors: W. D. Harrington, 21 years; W. C. Bledsoe, W. E. Lloyd, George E. Brewer, C. J. Burden. A. S. Brannon, W. P. Cofield, J. P. Hunter, C. B. Martin, Earle Trent, Oley C. Kidd, Albert Strozier, Carl Burke, Ralph Williams, U. M. Starnes, Jimmy Auchmuty, J. H. Carroll, James Coleman, Robert Crowder. Several early members left Providence Church to go out and form other Baptist churches.

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission, 1979.




Notes:

Marker Dedication or Erection Date:  July 8, 1979



End of Providence Baptist Church