Historic Markers Across Alabama



Fairfax First Christian Church



Marker ID: HCC 
Location: On Boulevard at Scott St, Valley, AL
County: Chambers
Coordinates: N 32° 47.544    W 085° 11.237
  32.7924    -85.18728333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMK3Z9
 



Text:

SIDE 1:
Built 1916 by West Point Manufacturing Company and called Fairfax "Union" Church as it was shared by Disciples of Christ, Methodist, and Baptist groups. It was purchased by the Disciples of Christ after the others left to build their own churches and renamed Fairfax First Christian Church. White clapboard exterior built in shape of cross. Windows-hammered glass in shape of Moses' tablets. Original features in use: pews designed to match windows, windows, pulpit, exposed hand-hewn interior beams, interior design. Addition built in 1952. Designated a historic landmark by the Alabama Historical Commission in 1992 and the Valley City Council in 1993.

SIDE 2:
Founding ministers: Reverend S. P. Speigel, Pastor West Point Christian Church; Reverend Dan Joiner, Pastor Lanett Christian Church. Charter Members: Mr. and Mrs. R.E. Smith, Sr.; Mrs. R. V. Combs; Mr. Charlie Floyd; Mr. and Mrs. Joe Norred; Mrs. Donzell Norred; Mr. and Mrs. H. Pigg; Judge Marion Brown; Mr. Walter Williams; Mr. Watkins; and Mrs. Pearl Dunn. The church building is part of the original Fairfax mill village design which included worker houses, general store, school, water-sewage system, railroad passenger and freight service.

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission and the Fairfax First Christian Church, 1996.



Notes:

Marker Dedication or Erection Date:  August 25, 1996



End of Fairfax First Christian Church