Historic Markers Across Alabama



Lanier High School



Marker ID: HCC 
Location: at L. B. Sykes Junior High School, 1302 Cherry Drive, Lanett, Alabama.
County: Chambers
Coordinates: N 32° 52.338    W 085° 12.022
  32.8723    -85.20036666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMK3Z4
 



Text:

SIDE 1:
The school was located at three different sites on Cherry Drive. Its beginning was in The Blue Hall Building adjacent to Goodsell Methodist Church. Later it was moved to the Dallas/Jackson Home and became the Jackson Hill School. In 1921, George H. Lanier provided funds to annex high school space. It became a part of Lanett City Schools, and the name changed to Lanier High. Lanier High was accredited in 1935 and six students constituted the first graduating class. The Darden family donated land and in 1937 a new school was built for grades 3-12 on the present site. Later, the Home Economics Building and Shop were added.

Erected by The Historic Chattahoochee Commission And The Charter Foundation 2003

SIDE 2:
Until 1959 Lanier High was the only school in The Greater Valley area that conferred high school diplomas on Black students. Reuben Dallas, S.Q. Bryant and L.B. Sykes were the principals who served from the early 1920s-1969. System-wide restructuring resulted in Lanier High losing grades 7-12, and in 1970 it became L. B. Sykes Lanett Jr. High with grades 6, 7 & 8. L. B. Sykes was accredited in 1974-75. The Lanier High building was demolished during the Summer of 1991, leaving the Home Economics Building as the only remnant of the school.

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission And The Charter Foundation 2003.





Notes:

Marker Dedication or Erection Date:  February 27, 2003



End of Lanier High School