Historic Markers Across Alabama



Chilton County Training School 1924-1969



Marker ID: AHC 
Location: Co. Road 425, Chilton, AL
County: Chilton
Coordinates: N 32° 47.717    W 086° 40.965
  32.79528333    -86.68275
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMDYTV
 



Text:

The Chilton County Training School (CCTS) was the only facility in the county that provided a secondary education for black boys and girls until the mid-1960s. In 1924 black landowners donated five acres for the school to the board of education who later purchased an additional five acres. A fire in 1949 mostly destroyed the original building, which had been constructed with assistance from the Rosenwald School Fund. The building was rebuilt in 1951 and upgraded in the early 1960s. Students were bussed to the school from elementary schools in Clanton City, Billingsley, Verbena, Ridersville, Maplesville, New Convert, Marbury, Thorsby and Jemison. CCTS Alumni erect this marker in honor of the administrators, faculty, parents and staff who provided more than 45 years of service to the citizens of Chilton County. The school was listed in the Alabama Register of Landmarks and Heritage in 2007.

CCTS ALUMNI PRESERVATION ASSOCIATION INC.
2008







End of Chilton County Training School 1924-1969