Historic Markers Across Alabama



Verbena, Alabama



Marker ID: ABT 
Location: On County Road 59, Verbena, AL.
County: Chilton
Coordinates: N 32° 45.163    W 086° 30.731
  32.75271666    -86.51218333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMFJBW
 



Text:

The only community in the U.S. so designated, Verbena was named for the profuse wild flowers growing in the area. Settlers arrived in the area as early as 1832. Completion of the North - South Railroad and a train depot at Verbena in 1870 enabled Montgomery citizens to escape yellow fever epidemics, the worst being in 1873. Because of the healthier climate, many prominent citizens built summer homes here and the village grew to include two hotels, doctor's offices, a bank, general stores, mineral springs, and more. Sidney Lanier, a great Southern poet, is reputed to have written "Into the Woods" while camping on the banks of nearby Chestnut Creek which is also known for its gold mines. By 1900, Dr. Walter reed's Commission succeeded in eradicating yellow fever and the population dwindled, but the village remains and some of the beautiful homes and a church building erected in 1876 are still in use. Verbena was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1976.

Erected by the Alabama Tourism Department and
the Verbena Historical Society







End of Verbena, Alabama