Historic Markers Across Alabama



Scandinavian Cemetery



Marker ID:  
Location: On Alabama Ave, south of Franklin St, Thorsby, AL
County: Chilton
Coordinates: N 32° 54.430    W 086° 42.887
  32.90716666    -86.71478333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMH3EA
 



Text:

In 1896 Swedish settlers organized the Concordia Methodist Church and acquired this land for the Concordia Cemetery, later known as the Lutheran Cemetery. This is the former site of Strassburg School. In the 198o’s it became known as the Scandinavian Cemetery since most of those laid to rest here were Lutherans, not only of Swedish descent, but of Norwegian, Danish and Finnish. They were primarily from the upper mid-western United States and desired a better climate and living conditions to work in and raise their families. They cleared the land, built homes, planted orchards and vineyards, established businesses, schools and churches. They developed a thriving town where they enjoyed social gatherings, band concerts, festive celebrations, and built life-long friendships. This marker was placed here in 2010 by descendants of the Scandinavians laid to rest here and the Thorsby Historical Preservation Committee to remember these people who found the Town of Thorsby.

Listed in the Alabama Historic Cemetery Register
Marker erected in 2010 by and the Thorsby Historical Preservation Committee







End of Scandinavian Cemetery