Historic Markers Across Alabama



Mitchell Dam



Marker ID:  
Location: can be reached from Mitchell Dam Road half a mile east of County Road 93, Verbena, AL
County: Chilton
Coordinates: N 32° 48.289    W 086° 26.792
  32.80481666    -86.44653333
Style: Mounted **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Named by the Board of Directors
of
Alabama Power Company
to honor
James Mitchell
President 1912-1920


Major modifications to this project were completed
in 1985. Three new generating units with a total
capacity of 150,000 kilowatts were installed in a
new powerhouse on the west bank. In addition, the
three additional units installed in 1923 with a total
capacity of 52,500 kilowatts were removed from
service. Unit 4 with a capacity of 20,000 kilowatts
that was installed in 1949 was retained in service.
These improvements resulting in an increased
capacity at Mitchell Dam from 72,500 kilowatts
to 170,000 kilowatts were part of a comprehensive
plan by Alabama Power Company to complete the
hydraulic electric generating developments of the
Coosa River.

Erected 1923 by the Alabama Power Company.







End of Mitchell Dam