Historic Markers Across Alabama



First Oil Well In Alabama



Marker ID: AHA 
Location: Paragon Road (County Road 16) 2 miles west of State Route 17, Gilbertown, AL
County: Choctaw
Coordinates: N 31° 52.159    W 088° 21.082
  31.86931666    -88.35136666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMNB0W
 



Text:

On January 2, 1944, the State of Alabama granted Hunt Oil Company a permit to drill the A.R. Jackson Well No. 1 at this location near Gilbertown. Hunt Oil Company was owned by the famous oil man, H.L. Hunt of Dallas, Texas. Drilling commenced on January 10, 1944, and was completed approximately one month later. The well struck oil at a depth of 2,580 feet in fractured Selma chalk. The discovery of this well led to the creation of the State Oil and Gas Board of Alabama in 1945, and to the development and growth of the petroleum industry in the State.







End of First Oil Well In Alabama