Historic Markers Across Alabama



Clarke-Washington Electric Membership Corporation



Marker ID: AHC 
Location: at the intersection of U.S. 84 and River Street, Coffeeville, AL
County: Clarke
Coordinates: N 31° 45.352    W 088° 5.099
  31.75586666    -88.08498333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMNB0X
 



Text:

The Clarke-Washington Electric Membership Corporation was organized near this site on March 2, 1936, by some 83 members from Clarke and Washington Counties. This was the first rural electric cooperative organized in Alabama under an executive order signed by President Franklin D. Roosevelt on May 11, 1935. The co-op's original board of directors included Joe C. McCorquodale, Sr., Ben Glover, C. R. Myrick, R. S. McNeill, and H. E. Langlois. The co-op's first attorney was C. B. Gilmore of Grove Hill and its first general manager was Garrard Harrell of Jackson.

The Co-op was first located in Coffeeville, but later moved to Commerce Street in Jackson. The cooperative serves members in Clarke, Washington, Baldwin, Monroe and Wilcox counties.

(Erected by the Alabama Rural Electric Association in cooperation with Clarke-Washington Electric Membership Corporation)







End of Clarke-Washington Electric Membership Corporation