Historic Markers Across Alabama



First Baptist Church of Ashland



Marker ID: ABT 
Location: 83558 Highway 9, Ashland, AL
County: Clay
Coordinates: N 33° 16.496    W 085° 49.679
  33.27493333    -85.82798333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMRD91
 



Text:

First Baptist Church of Ashland


(Side 1)
Union Baptist Church, later named the First Baptist Church of Ashland, was founded with 23 charter members in 1865, six years before the town was incorporated. Members met in a log cabin in the southwestern part of Ashland. From 1867-1914 the congregation met in three other structures. In 1914 members dedicated a red brick structure with yellow brick trim and stained glass windows. The building reflected the rapid growth the church experienced during the 20th century. The building served the congregation for over 61 years with the last service being held on October 26, 1975.

(Side 2)
On November 23, 1975, a new church building was dedicated. Dedication of a Christian Life Center was held in 1984. During the 1990's the church focused on outreach both locally and beyond. The youth ministry of the church was also enhanced during this period. The year 2000 marked a new century of service by the church and a renewed focus on the spiritual needs of the members of the community.

Erected by the First Baptist Church of Ashland congregation.







End of First Baptist Church of Ashland