Historic Markers Across Alabama



Clay CountyClay County Courthouse Built 1906



Marker ID: ABT 
Location: Clay County Courthouse, Court Sq (AL 9), Ashland, AL Ashland, AL
County: Clay
Coordinates: N 33° 16.469    W 085° 50.134
  33.27448333    -85.83556666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMRD8R
 



Text:

Clay County Courthouse
Built 1906


The county’s first courthouse burned in 1875. Anniston architect Charles W. Carleton designed the present courthouse with Italian Renaissance elements. Contractor Harper & Barnes of Cleveland, Tenn., completed the building in August, 1906, at a cost of $37,986. A Seth Thomas clock in the dome is dated 1907. The courthouse has the highest elevation of any courthouse in Alabama. U.S. Supreme Court Justice Hugo Black began his legal career here in 1906. Congressman Bob Riley launched a campaign for governor on the west side of the courthouse, and in 2003 became the first county native to serve as governor. This marker celebrating the centennial of the courthouse was unveiled on Aug. 12, 2006.

Erected by Alabama Tourism & Travel, Lee Sentelll,
Director / Courthouse Celebration Chairman Probate Judge George Ingram







End of Clay CountyClay County Courthouse Built 1906