Historic Markers Across Alabama



Clay County and the Creek Indian Confederacy



Marker ID: ABT 
Location: Clay County Courthouse, AL-9, Ashland, AL
County: Clay
Coordinates: N 33° 16.444    W 085° 50.153
  33.27406666    -85.83588333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMRD8Z
 



Text:

Clay County and the Creek Indian Confederacy


The loss of 22.5 million acres of Creek Indian lands in the surrender treaty of Fort Jackson in August 1814 left the Creeks with only 5.2 million acres. The future Clay County would be near the center of this downsized Creek Confederacy. Several important Creek Indian trails passed through the future county. Among the Creek Indian towns in the area where the mother town of Hillabee (near Pinckneyville) and its four satellite villages of Enitachopko (at Bluff Springs), Lanudshi Apala (at Millerville), Echoise Ligua (north of Hackneyville) and Oktasassi (south of Hackneyville). Co-located with the Hillabee mother town was Scotsman Robert Grierson's trading post and factory, which also played prominently in Creek Indian history. President George Washington's invitation letter to the Creek leadership was delivered to Chief Alexander McGillivray while he was visiting at the Grierson complex in 1790. This invitation led to America's initial contact and treaty with the Alabama Creeks. Other noted Red Stick Creeks , such as William Weatherford, Menawa, Peter McQueen, and Opithle Yahola, also left their footprints in the red soil of Clay County.

Written by Don East

Erected by the Alabama Tourism Department and the County of Clay.







End of Clay County and the Creek Indian Confederacy