Historic Markers Across Alabama



History of Lineville



Marker ID: ABT 
Location: at City Hall on Mellow Valley St, Lineville, AL
County: Clay
Coordinates: N 33° 18.672    W 085° 45.275
  33.3112    -85.75458333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMWGAC
 



Text:

History of Lineville


(front)
Native Americans were the first to inhabit the area known as Lineville. The Creek Indian War of 1812, however, resulted in their removal. The first white settlers here were William and Thomas Lundie. There settlement became known as Lundie's Cross Roads after a trading post opened in the 1830s to serve pioneers and miners searching for gold. In 1856, Lundie's Cross Roads became known as County Line, probably for the Baptist Church, founded in 1848 and located on what was then the boundary line between Talladega and Randolph County. Also in 1856, a post office was established in Lineville, schools were consolidated in corn and cotton became cash crops. In the 1860s, some 56 area men were interred in the Old Lineville Cemetery. By the end of the Civil War, Confederate money had become useless in the area suffered hardships. Clay County formed in 1866. The town's name, County Line, was changed to Lineville in 1870 when it became the temporary seat of government for Clay County.


(back)
The press came to Lineville in 1884. In 1898, Lineville was incorporated, graphite mining became a major industry and National Bank began operating here. A secondary College opened in Lineville in 1891 with H. J. Willingham, President, and first appointed mayor. In 1907, the first railroad began operating in Lineville; the timber and lumber industry expanded; and mandated high schools opened. Lineville received water and electricity in 1917. Lineville water tank is listed on Alabama's Register of Landmarks and History. Also in 1917, the old Springhill Black School was replaced with a new building named Clay County Training School. 1929, during the Great Depression, Lineville families lost farms and many businesses failed. A new factory began operation in Lineville in 1946 and in 1949, a hospital was built here. This marker, dedicated under the leadership of Mayor Roy Adamson and councilmembers Carolyn Smith, David Proctor, Mamie Turman, Matt Benefield and Johnny Appleby during the year 2010, pays homage to the heritage of Lineville.

Alabama Tourism Department
and the City of Lineville November 2010







End of History of Lineville