Historic Markers Across Alabama



Enterprise Depot



Marker ID: AHC 
Location: At the old Depot on Railroad St., Enterprise, AL
County: Coffee
Coordinates: N 31° 18.811    W 085° 51.264
  31.31351666    -85.8544
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM3WCB
 



Text:

This building was built in 1903 with additions in 1916 and 1997. The first freight shipments and passengers came here on the Alabama Midland railroad in 1898 immediately after construction of the roadbed. That was also the year when most of the brick business buildings downtown were completed. By 1903, a depot was needed as the transportation focus of this town. Along with the Rawls Hotel, the depot became a gathering place for our citizens. In 1974, the Pea River Historical Society purchased the depot and began operating the Depot Museum.

(Erected 2000)







End of Enterprise Depot