Historic Markers Across Alabama



First United Methodist Church



Marker ID: AHC 
Location: South Main Street, Enterprise, AL
County: Coffee
Coordinates: N 31° 18.769    W 085° 51.147
  31.31281666    -85.85245
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WME9FK
 



Text:

Organized in 1883 by 13 charter members as Carmichael Chapel of Elba Circuit, the congregation originally worshipped in a brush arbor on the NW corner of N. Main and Lee Streets. The first two sanctuaries built in 1883 & 1893 were both located on N. Main Street. One of the oldest structures in Enterprise, the present church on S. Main was built in 1903-04 and is a good example of the High Victorian Gothic style that was popular for church architecture around the turn-of-the-century.

(Erected 1985 by the Congregation)







End of First United Methodist Church