Historic Markers Across Alabama



Curtis School



Marker ID: AHC 
Location: Alabama 141, Elba, AL
County: Coffee
Coordinates: N 31° 23.765    W 086° 09.373
  31.39608333    -86.15621666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WME9FE
 



Text:

Curtis School was organized in the early 1900's and was originally located 1/2 mile south, where new Ebenezer Baptist Church now stands. A new school was built on this site in 1929 when Curtis, Mt. Zion, and Rhodes Schools were consolidated. Danley's Crossroads School joined Curtis School in 1931. The building burned in 1940 and was rebuilt in 1941. After the school closed in 1967, it was vacant for a few years until it was destroyed by fire.

E. C. Griffin served as the last principal. Other principals included R. L. Farris, F. T. Waldon, D. B. Nelson, J. E. Cheatam, and C. M. Bryd.

(Erected in 1989 by Curtis Alumni and Friends)







End of Curtis School