Historic Markers Across Alabama



First United Methodist Church Earliest Church in Elba



Marker ID: AHA 
Location: Courthouse Square, Elba, AL
County: Coffee
Coordinates: N 31° 24.81    W 086° 4.033
  31.41364    -86.06722
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMACQJ
 



Text:

A congregation of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South existed in Elba even before Rev. Robert Shaw Rabb was assigned as the first minister to the Elba Circuit on December 15, 1853. This site was purchased in 1909 and the Church officially opened on February 12, 1911. Large panels of stained glass windows are a memorial to Confederate soldiers from Coffee County. The historic Church bell was cast on February 21, 1908 in Hillsboro, Ohio.







End of First United Methodist Church Earliest Church in Elba