Historic Markers Across Alabama



Historic Court Square



Marker ID: AHA 
Location: Coffee County Courthouse, Elba, AL
County: Coffee
Coordinates: N 31° 24.83    W 086° 3.950
  31.41392    -86.06584
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMAB7G
 



Text:

The first Coffee County Courthouse was at Wellborn and burned in 1851. This site was given by John B. Simmo when Elba was selected the county seat, polling 58 more votes than Indigo Head (Clintonville) in a county election on October 5, 1852. The first building erected on this site was a two-story frame structure burned by Ward's Raiders on September 3, 1863. A new courthouse was completed in 1867. This building served Coffee County until 1881 and was sold at an auction. A third building completed in 1882 was enlarged in 1889. Failing to meet the needs of Coffee County it was replaced by the present courthouse in 1903. Listed in National Register of Historic Places.







End of Historic Court Square